Communities of Practice
Alone we are smart, Together we are brilliant. Steven Andersen
A Community of Practice is an effective way of creating a network of support around people with similar skills or passions. In municipal government, we are seeing communities of practice created to support decentralized resources who have been trained in toolsets such as LEAN, innovation and facilitation.
Do you use a community of practice in your municipality? We want to hear about it!
Starting or building an Innovation Community of Practice?
These resources have been provided by the panelists of The Mentors Live from the 2018 MIC conference. Feel free to reuse, modify and share.
- York Region Community of Practice Sample kit
- IGNITE-Leading Innovation – an article from the City of Burlington
- Community of Practice info from the City of Mississauga
- Innovation Community of Practice goals (Mississauga)
- Mississauga Community of Practice story
Sample tools and templates
- Innov8 @ Work
- 30Sketches 90Seconds Facilitator’s Guide
- Panelist Guidelines for facilitators running panel discussions (based on The Mentors Live)
- a COP deck – Process Mapping vs Journey Mapping COP workshop
- COP topic list – City of Barrie 2018 Innovators COP outline
- A selection of Mississauga COP Agendas
- Introduction to communities of practice
- Community of Practice Design Guide
- Communities of Practice: :Learning as a Social System
- Innovative Learning: Communities of Practice
- Communities of Practice Impact Evaluation Report, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Promoting and assessing value creation in communities and networks: A conceptual framework
About our Thought Leaders
As part of its efforts to increase capacity for continuous improvement across the organization, York Region is a leader in using Communities of Practice to support and engage a growing number of process-improvement champions, innovators and facilitators.
Have any questions or want to learn more about York Region’s Communities of Practice? Allison Bailey and Joanne Armstrong are our Community of Practice Thought Leaders and would be happy to connect. Reach out via firstname.lastname@example.org